Monday, May 5, 2014

Believe that you can..and you will..

American Cinco de Mayo celebrations started in 1860 in the Southwest and Northwest United States celebration. A celebration started by Mexicans themselves when they defeated the French who were coming to help the Confederate side in the Civil War, they fought hard although the battle was short lived. The French tried to come through Mexico, but they were not having any of it! I always thought that May 5th represented Mexican Independence day; which isn't until September 6th. I did what we do to celebrate : taco dinner, cerveza and Jalepeno poppers, with family, so that makes everything better! Taco night makes everyone feel in control of their own dinner, which helps me to. Reading about Cinco de Mayo, the official day being May 8th- My daughters birthday woo hoo!, which is when the the Mexican army took back control. Being an African American woman, many greats in front, family of a sharecropper and poor Native American/Asian woman, I am celebrating for the strength and resolve of Mexican's to hold off, be defeated, then come again to defeat for their own country people. Their will to believe that they could win that battle even after defeat and they did. Many of their country man died at the hands of the French, yet they pressed on. It reminds me in my life to believe I can, because I can! To press on and try everyday to do more than the day before. Muchas Gracias Mexicans!

Ciao!

BCV

No comments:

Post a Comment